Tenant-Based Waiting List Information
If your family's name is on the CMHA tenant-based waiting list, we will begin to process your application when your name comes to the top of the list.
You cannot, however, sign up for the HCVP Tenant-Based Program at CMHA unless you were a successful "winner" in the lottery. Due to funding limitations, the HCVP Tenant-Based waiting list is presently closed to new applicants. When it reopens, announcements will appear in the newspaper along with directions on how to apply for the lottery.
You may apply for HCVP anywhere in the country where there is a housing authority with an open waiting list. Some housing authorities require you to live in their jurisdiction or area for the first year, and others allow you to use the Tenant-Based (also known as Section 8 voucher) anywhere you want right away. You must check the policy of the housing authority where you apply. A list of other housing authorities in the United States is on the HUD web page at www.hud.gov.
Project-Based Waiting Lists
Several project-based waiting lists remain open with preferences for families meeting certain criteria:
- Homeless - Applicants who are applying to reside only in a property designated to serve homeless households in need of supportive services.
- Chronically Homeless - Applicants who are applying to reside only in a property designated to serve chronically homeless households in need of supportive services. A chronically homeless applicant is an unaccompanied individual with a disabling condition, or an adult member of a homeless family who has either been continuously homeless for one year or more, or has had at least four episodes of homelessness in the past three years.
- Fairfax Intergenerational - Applicants who are applying to reside only in a property designated to serve adults 55 years of age and older with legal custody of one or more minor children, who are applying to reside in a property designated to serve intergenerational households in need of supportive services.
- Tenant Based - Applicants who wish to apply for the Tenant-Based Housing Choice Voucher Program must complete a pre-application lottery form when the lottery is held.
- Mod Rehab - Applicants who are applying to reside only in a property designated to low income families.
- Project Based - Applicants who are applying to reside only in a property designated to low income families with supportive services attached with admission.
Project-based housing is different than the tenant-based voucher program that most people know. Project-based housing assistance is attached to certain specific buildings and does not transfer to private landlords in the first year.